This is the first in an on-going series of in-depth posts I will be publishing to show you exactly how to work with a virtual assistant on a number of different tasks that new-age entrepreneurs have to handle on a day-to-day basis, when it comes to starting, managing, marketing and growing their business online.
Today we start with a look at how to work with a virtual assistant to manage your blog.
When I first started blogging, I had no idea of the power it would unleash when it comes to marketing my businesses, and bringing on board new customers. It’s a soft-sell approach to educating, inspiring and entertaining readers and prospects that, in todays business landscape converts better than any form of advertising I try out.
In this guide we’ll cover exactly how your VA will handle the technical aspects of blog management, before moving onto the content side of things. We’ll wrap everything up with a video tutorial that will show you, step-by-step, how your VA will get your blog posts ready to go live.
Everything here are the exact same processes that my personal VA’s follow when it comes to managing my blogs. I’m gonna be laying it all out there for you, step-by-step.
Why Business Owners Struggle with Their Blogging
As I’ve discussed before, as entrepreneurs, time is our MVC (most valuable commodity). However, as with most business marketing and growth strategies, when it comes to blogging there is a certain amount of hard work involved. It’s not as simple as writing a 500-word post and hitting the publish button.
To really catapult your blogging to a level that will make a difference, you need to keep a number of different things into mind, including:
- Find time to blog.
- Interpreting Analytics.
- Getting feedback from readers.
- Dealing with technical issues.
- Coming up with ideas for content.
- Finding readers.
In addition to all this, very few small business owners start out as writers and most of the time, blogging does not come naturally to them. Even if you’re tech savvy, when will you find the time to manage your blog between answering your emails, sitting in meetings, talking with clients and growing your business?
Thus, it makes total sense to ‘go virtual’ with your blog management, by learning how to work with a virtual assistant to manage your blog.
Having Your VA Manage the Technical Side of Your Blogging
So, let’s start with the technical aspects involved in the day-to-day maintenance of a WordPress blog. I’m highlighting WordPress here as it’s the blogging platform that I use, and is by far the easiest to manage, and the most robust to use because of all the fantastic plugins available at your arsenal.
- BackingUp Your Blog– It’s amazing that considering how much time and energy goes into putting together a blog post, how many bloggers actually don’t backup their blogs on a regular basis. I use BackupBuddy to backup all of my sites. You can have your VA install the plugin, then configure it to do either regular full updates, or just database backups. For a step-by-step guide to using this plugin for your backups (the one that my VA used to set everything up), check out this tutorial by Corbett Barr, over at Think Traffic.
- Keeping WordPress Up-To-Date – It’s important to make sure that your version of WordPress is up-to-date all the time. This is one of the biggest security issues with running a WordPress site. So, having your VA check for new versions, or simply making sure they keep an eye out for status updates on the WordPress dashboard itself is paramount. It’s best practice to upgrade to a new version once it’s been officially released, but I would suggest you have your VA wait for at least 2-weeks, to make sure that the version is stable and won’t cause anything strange to happen to your site.
The aforementioned BackupBuddy even reminds you to backup before updating your WordPress software, as you’ll see in the screenshot below – this reminds your virtual assistant to keep everything fully up-to-date, in regards to the ‘engine’ of your blog.